Friday, March 5, 2010

24 hours




Our Sunday School class is participating in the study of a book by Adam Hamilton - 24 Hours that changed the world. I've been reading the devotional guide each morning. Today was "The Trial Before the Righteous." Adams says that there is a dungeon under a church and it is thought that Jesus was lowered into this pit in that dark night before he was brought before the council for charges of blasphemy. He says that some suggest that he may have prayed Psalm 88 as he lay there. So I did as suggested and flipped in my bible to Psalm 88. The Psalm is indeed one that we might pray when in a "deep pit of distress." One of the saddest verses to me is "You have taken from me my closest friends and have made me repulsive to them." That verse alone sounds like a mini definition of Hell. To feel separated from God and to feel separated from our closest friends must be hell. Since we've been studying this material, I have thought a lot about our close group of friends. I guess it is because we've been reading about those last days, especially at the last supper, when Jesus surrounded himself with his closest buddies. Mark and I been blessed with an amazing group of friends - and if you are reading this - you know who you are. We give thanks daily for them. My heart actually physically hurts as I read those words of despair, "you have taken from me my closest friends and have made me repulsive to them." I "hear" such anguish. So on this day, I lift our friends in prayer - by name - and I thank God for each and every one of you. I ask for his blessings to flow over you and for his healing touch to heal your ills. I love you! Challenge for the day - call a friend and tell them how much you love them, write a note or send a card, pray for your friends by name today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment