Sunday, January 30, 2011

Happy New Year . . another year - wow!

I really can't believe that 2010 has passed and that we are in the second month of 2011. How could that possibly be? My daddy always said that the older you get, the faster time passes. I always thought that was so silly . . . but I'm beginning to understand it!!

We have hosted a Gumbo and goodies party for years and it has always been on the last Friday before Christmas . . .but I just couldn't get it together this year. I emailed our guest list sometime around Thanksgiving and said, "please mark your calendars . . .we are moving the party to New Year's Eve."

It was fun having something to look forward to though I must admit that I questioned my sanity that week. Our momma always took down the Christmas tree before the New Year arrived, so I had to have all the Christmas decorations down and packed away. I had some New Year's decorations and was able to "fancy them up" with some silver and gold tissue paper. I thought my centerpieces turned out very well.

See those funny 2011 glasses? I picked those up at Walmart!!


I found the snowflake tablecloth on clearance at target after Christmas! It was either 50% or 75% off. They had one large enough for my table so I snatched it up. I was also able to buy really cool pearlized (spell check just told me that this isn't a word - do you know what I mean by "pearlized"?) plates on sale also. I hate bargain shopping BUT I LOVE it when I happen upon a bargain!! (that must be a southern expression . . .happen upon a bargain!)

We were thrilled that many of our friends were able to come. Duane and Terrie always have a conflict on the Friday before Christmas but they were able to join us on New Year's Eve. Lynn was home from Texas and we were glad to visit with both Lynn and Brian.


Les and Susan and Bert and Butch - enjoying some conversation and either gumbo or soup. They are all smiling . . .maybe they were having a good time!


Mark enjoyed visiting with everyone . . .and in this picture he is with Laura and Allen.


Let's see . ..I spy Bonnie and Lynn and Alice in that crowd gathered around the appetizer table.



I love walking through our home hearing good conversation and seeing folks laughing and eating good food and having a good time with each other!!
The kitchen is always the gathering place! I don't know if it will ever happen or not, but because I love to entertain so much, I would love a giant kitchen with incredible appliances and a big island where folks could gather round. I can close my eyes and imagine just how lovely it would be!!
But you know what? Even without that giant kitchen, I love to entertain. I love being surrounded by friends and family.
What will I blog about next? I think I still have some pics on my camera . . .I'll have to upload and see . . .leaving for Camp Sumatanga for a staff retreat in just a few minutes . . .I'm going to take my camera but I think it is going to rain!!


No comments:

Post a Comment