Monday, March 12, 2012

Worship in the most unusual place

I've never been one to listen to the radio in the car . . .maybe when I was younger . . .or when I'm in someone else's car . . .but normally I just enjoy the quiet.  I bought a new car in January - her name is Ruby Red . . .I HAVE always wanted a red car and now I have one! 


One of the features that came with my car is satellite radio.  O.H.  M.Y.  G.O.O.D.N.E.S.S.  I love it.  There is a Christian channel that plays wonderful music and there are not a lot (maybe not any) commercials advertising mortgage companies and other junk and the DJ's (or whatever they call them these days) don't do a lot of talking.  They just play wonderful music.  They play lots of new stuff and they play some great Big Daddy Weave and other older groups.  Big Daddy Weave came to our church and did a concert before they were famous!!!!  Every once in a while, the station throws in an old gospel tune which takes me back to my youth.  I used to usher at the Boutwell Auditorium with some friends for all of the big gospel "singins" (no "g" at the end).  We also had some pretty good old songs that were sung in the church where I grew up. 


Last Friday, I drove to Mobile (4 hours) and spent 4 hours with Glenn and Lauren (while she had her biopsies) and then I drove home (4 hours) . . .in the same day . . .I was so proud of myself - I did it!!  Anyway, the Christian radio station and I became wonderful friends.  I felt like I was . . .no I didn't "feel like" I was worshiping - I was worshiping as I drove up and down I-65.  I know that people in other cars could see me singing (glad they couldn't hear me!!).  I didn't care.  I have several favorites right now.  I love "I turn to you" by Selah.  Just typing those words brings a song into my heart and that feeling of knowing that no matter what is going on - I can turn to Jesus - that is a particularly good feeling right now. Here are just a few of Selah's lyrics: (find this song on you tube and listen if you don't know it)
When I'm lost in the rain,
In your eyes I know I'll find the light to light my way.
And when I'm scared,
And losing ground,
When my world is going crazy,
You can turn it all around.
And when I'm down you're there - pushing me to the top.
You're always there, giving me all you've got.
For a shield from the storm,
For a friend, for a love to keep me safe and warm
I turn to you.
For the strength to be strong,
For the will to carry on
For everything you do, for everything that's true
I turn to you.
When I lose the will to win,
I just reach for you and I can reach the sky again.
I can do anything 'cause your love is so amazing,
'Cause your love inspires me.
And when I need a friend,
You're always on my side giving me faith taking me through the night
For a shield from the storm,
For a friend, for a love to keep me safe and warm
I turn to you.


I also love "Held" by Natalie Grant - here are just a few of her lyrics:
Two months is too little
They let him go
They had no sudden healing
To think that providence
Would take a child from his mother
While she prays, is appalling
Who told us we'd be rescued
What has changed and
Why should we be saved from nightmares
We're asking why this happens to us
Who have died to live, it's unfair
This is what it means to be held
How it feels, when the sacred is torn from your life
And you survive
This is what it is to be loved and to know
That the promise was when everything fell
We'd be held


I have been using my time in the car to be renewed.  Since I teach and facilitate, I don't always get a lot of food.  I read my Bible and have my prayer time and read a devotion and hear a sermon every week but sometimes music seems to reach deep down into my soul and it is almost as if I can fill a pitcher pouring out inside of me  . . . filling me.  Giving me strength.


I know that a few of you read my blog.  Where do you feel God's presence?  What is your favorite form of worship?  Do you have a favorite worship song right now?

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I love to worship in the car, too!!!!! (congrats on your new red one!)!...I love most praise music! So many favorites but I just told my Natalie I wanted her to sing "Our Hope Endures" by Natalie Grant. It's beautiful!!! Other places I love to worship is on my back porch watching the sunrise and always at DUMC ! :)
    Hugs <>< jxxoo

    ReplyDelete