Thursday, May 24, 2012

Yummmmm - Brown Sugar Brownies


Since I'm on vacation today, I decided to bake something to share with someone else!!  My mother-in-law taught me to bake these back when Mark and I were newlyweds.  I couldn't bake a thing back then!!  While our kids were growing up, I would guesstimate that I baked at least 1,000 pans of these yummy treats.  I have a new lens for my camera so I decided to take a picture of the ingredients and then realized that I forgot to put the brown sugar box in the picture!!  Oops!!  The recipe is simple and delicious.  First preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  While the oven is heating, melt 1 1/2 sticks of butter.  I love Land o' Lakes personally.  When butter has melted, add one box of brown sugar and stir until well mixed together.  Next add three eggs (I use jumbo).  Add them one at a time and stir.  Do not use an electric mixer for this recipe.  The brownies will be soooo tough!!!!  (yes, I tried and yes, I had to throw them away)  After adding the eggs, add 2 1/2 cups of self rising flour.  I always buy White Lily Flour if I can find it.  To me, it makes the lightest baked goods.  (This is not a paid post - they could care less that I like their flour and Land o' lakes could care less that I love their butter!!)  After adding flour, stir well with wooden spoon.  You need a strong spoon to stir the mixture -- a wooden spoon works really well.  Next add 1 tsp. of vanilla.  Last but not least, add 1 cup butterscotch chips.  Optional:  baking m&m's, chocolate chips instead of butterscotch, coconut, 1 cup chopped pecans.  The best combination is the butterscotch chips and the pecans.  Spray a 9 X 13 pan with pam and pour the brownie mixture into the pan.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Check the brownies at 25 minutes.  They should not "jiggle" in the middle but you do not want to overcook these.  Allow to cool before cutting (except for the piece or two that you cut pretty quickly because they smell so good as they are baking . . .)  One of Laura's friends loves these brownies.  One year, I baked her a pan of these for her birthday and wrapped them in a "shirt size" box - simply use wax paper instead of tissue inside the gift box.

Brown Sugar Brownies
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Spray a 9 X 13 inch pan with pam

1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
1 box of brown sugar (light not dark)
3 jumbo eggs
2 1/2 cups self rising flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup pecans, chopped

Melt butter, add sugar and stir.  Add eggs, one at a time, stirring after each addition.  Mix in flour.  Stir in vanilla.  Fold in chips and nuts.  Pour into pan.  Mixture will be thick.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.  Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment