Friday, August 31, 2012

Chicken Cheese Ball & other dips

One of my new favorite appetizer recipes is for a "Chicken Cheese Ball" but I keep doubling it and then it is so large that I make it into a bowl of chicken cheese dip. It is really yummy and it is so stinkin' easy to make. Ingredients:
2 large cans of all white meat chicken breast
1 package dry ranch seasoning mix
2 blocks of lite cream cheese, softened (I rarely buy the full fat - I don't think fat free would work in this recipe)
Put the two blocks of cream cheese in the mixer and add dry ranch seasoning and whir until mixed.
Drain chicken and add to mixer and give it a another mix or two.
Shape into ball (if using the above recipe but if doubled, shape into a tupperware bowl and on a long skinny tray into a log shape).
Cover with chopped pecans.
Serve with triscuits or ritz crackers. Delish!!

My friend, Marietta, gave me another recipe that is one of my favorites. I've made changes to the amounts, etc. over the years but it is still her recipe and one of my favorites -- especially served with fritos (it is dangerous to bring fritos into our house!!!)
Sausage/Cream Cheese Rotel Dip
4 8-oz packages of cream cheese (I use light)
2 16 ounce tubes of breakfast sausage (such as Jimmy Dean) - one hot/one mild
2 cans of Rotel, drained (Diced tomatoes and green chilies) - I drain into a cup and usually add most of the liquid back in after it cooks a few minutes.
Cook sausage in a skillet.
Drain sausage and then add cream cheese and Rotel into the skillet and allow to melt. This can be done in a crockpot (cook the sausage first).
It is wonderful.

Another great finger food that includes sausage is this:
two pounds of sausage (one hot/one mild)
2 blocks of cream cheese
2 tubes of crescent rolls
2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
brown two pounds of sausage (1 hot/1 mild) and add 2 bricks of cream cheese (after draining sausage). Spread one roll of crescent rolls (the kind in the tube on the biscuit aisle) in bottom of 9 X 13 pan sprayed with pam.
Spread sausage and cream cheese mixture on top of crescent rolls and add 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
Top with second tube of crescent rolls.
Bake at 350 until done (top will be golden brown) --- about 25-30 minutes.
Cut into wedges - delish!!!   If I take this to Sunday School or to a breakfast meeting, it disappears quickly.

Last one - my daughter made this last year for Halloween and I didn't think I would like it and as a matter of fact, was not too sure after taking my first bite - then I loved it on the 2nd bite. (so remember that)
Black Bean, Corn and Feta dip
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can shoe peg corn, drained
1 6 ounce package crumbled feta cheese
4 green onions, chopped
Mix together in bowl.
Now whisk together:
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
2-3 Tablespoons of sugar
Pour over bean/corn mixture and mix gently. Chill. Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment