Sunday, March 17, 2013

just call on me sister when you need a hand!!

When I was looking back through my pictures this week, I came across these and realized that I had not blogged about this night.   As I looked at the pictures, this song kept popping into my head - you've heard it before:
Sometimes in our lives
We all have pain
We all have sorrow
But if we are wise
We know that there's
Always tomorrow
Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long Till I'm gonna need Somebody to lean on
Please swallow your pride If I have things
You need to borrow
For no one can fill
Those of your needs
That you won't let show
You just call on me brother SISTER
When you need a hand
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem That you'll understand
We all need somebody to lean on
Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need Somebody to lean on
You just call on me brother SISTER
When you need a hand
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem
That you'll understand
We all need somebody to lean on
If there is a load
You have to bear
That you can't carry
I'm right up the road
I'll share your load
If you just call me . . .call me . . .call me ( BILL WITHERS - LEAN ON ME LYRICS )

Are you singing the song with me now?

This was our second annual (I hope this is going to be a long tradition) gathering at Jennifer's apartment to make trays of goodies for her to share with others in the assisted living facility. 

First up during the evening is dinner.  We order out and someone picks up and we all eat together.  Then we move into her kitchen.  Each of us bakes/makes a treat/cookie/candy (or two) which we bring with us (already prepared) and we purchase these great "silver" trays at the Dollar Tree.  We have clear bags and ribbon.
We line up all the goodies on the counter and pick up a tray and start moving down the line filling each tray with delicious goodies.  Angela was in charge of bagging the goodies and tying the ribbon this year.

We chat and talk about all sorts of stuff while we prepare the trays.  At the end of the evening, Jennifer has quite a few trays to give to those who help her and to special friends . . and we have all had a great time together.  (left to right - Angela, Lori, Jennifer and Donna)

We may never solve the world's problems as we chat, but we are all filled with the love of Christ when we leave.  It doesn't matter how tired I am when I leave work on that night . . .and it doesn't matter how much I just want to drive on home . . .after we have been together for a couple of hours, I feel like a new woman.

LIFE IS A GIFT, my friends.  LIFE IS A GIFT!!!  We never know what the next moment is going to bring . . .since Jennifer's stroke, she has made the most of her minutes.  She always has a smile on her face.  All of the people at her assisted living facility LOVE her.  It is sort of like the old Cheers TV show . . . when Norm entered the bar, everyone shouted, "NORM!"  When you go down any hallway at Brookdale, other residents greet Jennifer in much the same way.  I am sure that she is shining the light of Christ on all she meets.  Several of her friends take her out to lunch often and go by to visit far more often than I do (I need to go more often!!!)  Her life changed in an instant.

LIFE IS A GIFT . . .when we need a friend, we need to call on each other - just like the song says.  Life and friendship are both such wonderful gifts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment