Saturday, October 19, 2013

Satisfying, Sumptuous, Savory Saturday


Satisfying, Sumptuous, Savory Saturdays


I'm going to try really hard to post these every Saturday . . .I don't know why it is so hard.  If I were smart . . . .I would type up a bunch and schedule them to post every Saturday.  Maybe it is not a "lack of smarts" but a lack of time!!  I've been sitting here making my grocery list and menus and "to do" list for work and home next week . . .and I need to be working on my Sunday School lesson.  (just an aside here - I have really struggled with this book . ..and yes, I bought it . . .and in "theory" it is good stuff - learning about each of the apostles and their lives, etc. . .. and of course, what their lives tell us about Jesus and about ourselves . . .but this book has required great amounts of outside research . . .I need to write a review about this . . .but it wouldn't be very favorable -- I need something to teach next until Lent - I want some curriculum about "being thankful" . . .any ideas out there . .. and yes, I know this is one incredibly long run on sentence with lots of . . . .but it is my blog :-) and that is where my crazy mind is running this morning! hahahaha!!)  So . . .on to the recipe for the week.

Chicken Pot Pie originally by Jane Bellew

 
 
The original recipe is written on a scrap of paper that Mark brought home from his office.  He and Jane worked about 30 years together until she retired this year (after a horrible fall last year - off a ladder while hanging Christmas decorations on her house!!)  Those are tiny ghosts cut with a cookie cutter on top of the lattice work crust.  (pictured with sweet 'n sour green beans - a good post for another day) and wild rice and Sister Schubert's rolls . . .not pictured - green salad)
 
So . ..  here are the ingredients
 
  • pie crust (in the box in refrigerated section)
  •  
  • canned chicken (original recipe calls for canned - sometimes I use home cooked) for a family, I would suggest one or two large cans of all white meat chicken - depending on your budget and how much meat your family enjoys -- I would also suggest a boneless breast per person if cooking your own (so drain the canned chicken and chop into smaller pieces or pull apart or cool and chop your boneless breasts)
  •  
  • 1 can veg-all drained
  •  
  • 1 8 ounce carton sour cream
  •  
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  •  
  • a little chicken broth (if you cooked your own chicken)
  •  
  • small can drained water chestnuts (I do not use because NEITHER of my children like water chestnuts . . .but I love them in this recipe)
  •  
  • 2 boiled eggs - chopped
This is an easy peasy recipe - and I think it is both satisfying and savory . . .and it is definitely comfort food.
 
Here are the directions.  Spray your 9 X 13 pan (use your brownie pan - or whatever you have) with cooking spray. (I always use Pam because that is what I buy)  Cut one of the round crusts into four strips (sometimes I use my rolling pin and make the crust more of a rectangle).  Place one of the four pieces around the outside edges of your pan. Do not bake yet.  (the other option is to make a rectangle and place in bottom of your pan and cook crust for a few minutes . . .not as long as package says - just until it begins to firm up some).  Mix the chicken, sour cream, drained veg-all, soup, water chestnuts, and chopped boiled eggs together.  Add a little chicken broth - I'm talking only a few tablespoons.  Pour this mixture into your pan.
 
Now take that other round circle of pie crust and roll it into a rectangle (if you have a rolling pin!).  Now cut into strips and criss cross across top of pie.  This is YOUR chicken pot pie - you can make any design you want.  Get out a cookie cutter - cut out some hearts or ghosts or chickens!!  You DO NOT have to do a lattice work pattern on top.  YOU CAN DO anything you want -- you just need crust on top.
 
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until filling is bubbling and crust is light brown.
 
Enjoy!!!
 
I know that I don't have a lot of readers . . .I'm not a "famous blogger" . . .but I would love for you to link up and share a favorite recipe with us . . maybe something easy peasy . . .or a comfort food recipe that you love.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment