Saturday, January 10, 2015

Biscuits

I woke up this morning and thought, "I sure would like to have a biscuit for breakfast."  I can still remember my granny (my daddy's momma) making biscuits when we spent the night with her.  She had this old green metal "piece of furniture" (I use that loosely because I'm not sure what it was!!) in her kitchen.  One panel pulled down and opened a bin of flour.  She would mix her biscuits there on that metal counter before placing them on an old cookie sheet (or seems like sometimes in an iron skillet???) and putting them into the oven.  I asked her to show me how one morning (I was probably about 12 years old) . . .it was some of this and a pinch of that . . .needless, to say, I never learned how to make her biscuits.  She died many years ago - just a year or two after our mom died.  So . . .this morning, I was going to make angel biscuits.  The original recipe calls for 2 cups self rising flour and one cup of sour cream and one cup of butter.  I thought I had all the ingredients.  Imagine my surprise when I opened the sour cream container and SOMEONE had been using it unbeknownst to me.  I just happened to have some left over buttermilk from New Year's Day (I DO KNOW how to make excellent cornbread - my daddy taught me!!).  I scraped all the sour cream out of the container and put it in my one cup measuring cup and filled the cup the rest of the way with buttermilk.  I had no idea whether it would work or not . . .but I do remember that Granny would use either "sweet" milk as she called it or buttermilk in her biscuits.  Guess what?  It worked!
2 cups self rising flour
1 cup butter - room temperature
one cup of sour cream/buttermilk mixed together
Preheat oven to 400
Grease muffin tins (big or small)
Combine butter and flour in bowl until you have everything incorporated.  It will look almost like a bunch of butter and flour pebbles in your bowl.  Add sour cream/buttermilk mixture and stir gently.  If you mix too vigorously, you will have tough biscuits!  Fill muffin cups and bake at 400 degrees.  I made 12 regular sized muffin biscuits and it took about 13 or 14 minutes in my oven.  I checked them every five minutes.

This was the finished product!  They don't look like my granny's biscuits but they sure were tasty!!


1 comment: