Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Wednesday Hodge Podge


join us with these fun questions from over at "From this side of the pond"

1. Is your home air conditioned? If it's not air conditioned, is that by choice? Did you grow up with air conditioning? If not how did you cope with the heat? Share about a time or place you remember as being too hot-the temperature kind of hot, lest anyone be confused. 
I actually laughed at this question.  I live in Alabama.  Our highs have been in the upper 90’s with a heat index of 107.  We have HIGH humidity – really HIGH!  Yes, we have air conditioning and it runs probably about 9 months of the year.  We need heat in December, January and February – sometimes we run our heat for a few mornings in November and March.  The rest of the year, we usually have on the air conditioner.  There might be a couple of weeks in the year, where we run nothing.  There are pictures of me as a newborn and there is a giant fan on a stand in the background of the picture.  I’m assuming that means that there was no air conditioner BUT I don’t remember that.  We had the old timey window units in the house where I grew up.  We are so spoiled that when our air conditioners break, we think we are going to die.

2. What's something in your life right now that falls under the heading 'up in the air'? I facilitate a young adult group on Tuesday nights and an adult (my age) class on Sunday mornings in our church.  I have no idea what material we will be using next . . .so that is “up in the air!”  On Sunday mornings, we are studying Revival by Adam Hamilton right now and it is great! On Tuesday nights, one of our ministers is leading a study on the Seven Deadly Sins. Any suggestions for new material?

3. Your favorite light and airy dessert? I started to type cheesecake but it is not light and airy!  Sherbet?  Actually, there is a sheet cheesecake that they used to serve at Camp Sumatanga that was light and fluffy.  I need to find a recipe for that!!

4. When did you last feel like you were 'floating on air'?
Are you familiar with the Walk to Emmaus? (or Cursillo? Or Tres Dias?) When you give one of the talks on an Emmaus weekend, you go to the prayer chapel about 40 minutes before the talk and there is a group of people there who lay hands on you and pray for you while you kneel.  The room where the talks are given is down a flight of steps.  I always call that “being prayed up.” As you walk down those steps, it is as if your feet never touch the steps – you are floating on air. (if you don’t know me, you probably think I have lost my mind but I promise I haven’t!)

5. Airport, airmail, airtight, airhead...which have you most recently encountered? Explain. I haven’t flown anywhere lately. I haven’t mailed anything via airmail lately. Airtight? Heck, I don’t know! I’m sure I have encountered an airhead (judgemental!!) – maybe I have been an airhead sometime recently!!  I’m sure I have.

6.  Have you ever been to the Alps? If so where did you go? If not, is this a destination on your must-see list? If you were headed that direction this summer, which of the following would be your preferred activity...a gentle walk, a serious walk, a bike ride, a boat ride around one of the lakes, or summer snow skiing? I’ve never been to the Alps.  It is not a destination on my must-see list but goodness gracious, I’m sure it would be a great trip.  One of the young men in our office went there with his wife earlier this year and I enjoyed seeing the pictures they posted on facebook.  I would enjoy walking, a bike ride and a boat ride. I’ve never been snow skiing and I might be too old to learn.

7. What is one saying or phrase that was considered 'cool' when you were growing up?  My mind must be going!  I actually googled “slang from the late 60’s and early 70’s” since I graduated from high school in 1976.  I don’t remember saying anything cool and I think I actually still use some of the phrases (sad!).  I did see Chinese Fire Drill on the list and I do remember doing that!  You pull up to a stop light and yell, “Chinese Fire Drill” and everyone bailed out of the car and ran around it and got back in.  Lord – thank you for protecting this fool!!

8. Insert your own random thought here. I’ve been reading a lot about John Wesley lately – founder of Methodism – and I have found it (and John!) very interesting.  Good grief – I can’t believe I just typed that.  What a nerd! (ah – we said that in the 70’s, didn’t we??) 

Our son and his wife have a new kitten. Her name is Piper and she is a cutie pie.
  
Laura has her cat, Charlie.

We have our cat, Harvey. Mark says he has a pirate eye.  He is a rescue and at some point in his prior life, he evidently had an eye infection and proper care was not administered.  He sees just fine and is not in pain, etc.


Glenn and Lauren have their dog, Riley; older cat – Sam (short for Samantha . . .she doesn’t like me so I have no pictures of her - she is shy!); Piper – new baby kitty.  I promise that my life is more exciting than these random thoughts but everything I’ve started to type has either been too controversial or just plain boring!  

2 comments:

  1. Lovely cats! They look loved and well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes sense to have an AC unit where you live. The Midwest is rather well-known for its very hot and humid climates. The least anyone can do is to have an AC on the ready, so they could avoid some uncomfortable days and nights. Thanks for the cat pictures, Lisa, and I'm sure that sherbet is the perfect dish in these times.

    Rosa Nelson @ HVAC Services Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete