Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Hodge Podge!!

1. What have you 'fallen for' recently? I’ve fallen in love with bacon and eggs! No – really! I’ve never been a breakfast food eater before. I would eat a PB&J or a grilled cheese but don’t give me eggs in the morning. BUT I’ve been eating bacon and eggs lately and have enjoyed them!

2. What's something you're 'squirreling away' for later? I’m always “squirreling away” craft supplies of some type or another. I’ve also been trying to “squirrel away” a little extra money for a trip I’m going on in 2016.

3. How do you like your apples? Sweet? Tart? Crisp? Cooked? Apples are one of the superfoods for fall...how often do you eat an apple either plain or as part of a favorite recipe? What's your favorite variety? Oooooh – Crisp!! Have you ever had Honeycrisp? They are delicious. I hate the apples that come in the bags. I want to hand pick each one. I also love baked apples. They are so good with pork tenderloin. I usually eat several raw apples every week.





4. According to Fodor's the ten best fall foliage trips in the US of A are-Aspen Colorado, The Catskills New York, The Berkshires Massachusetts, Columbia River Gorge Oregon, Green Mountain Byway Vermont, Enchanted Circle Scenic Byway New Mexico, Great Smoky Mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee, Upper Peninsula Michigan, Lake of the Ozarks Missouri, and Glacier National Park Montana. Which would you most like to visit this fall and why? I’ve always thought it would be cool (pun intended) to tour an upper east coast tour of the leaves in the fall. I’ve seen pictures before and the scenery looks magnificent. We have some pretty leaves in the fall in Alabama but nothing like some other places in the USA.



5. The topic of legalizing marijuana was raised in the most recent televised political debate so let's wade in too. Twenty-three states and the District of Columbia currently have laws legalizing marijuana in some form. Four states have legalized marijuana for recreational use. Your thoughts? I think it should be legalized – especially for medical use. (ask me next week and my opinion could have changed by then)


6. Are you okay to watch a movie already in progress or do you need to always see it from the beginning? How about jumping into a TV series somewhere in the middle? Is that okay?  I prefer to start at the beginning. I like to see how the plot unfolds. I prefer that same method for movies and TV.  I have started watching a TV series in the middle. I watched a couple of Downton Abbey shows and realized that I wanted to start at the beginning. Thank goodness for Amazon prime.

7. Thursday (September 24) is National Punctuation Day. What rule of punctuation trips you up most often? What rule of punctuation, when broken by someone else, bugs you the most? I have to proof several documents every week. Poor punctuation is rampant in this world!  My pet peeve is not really punctuation – it is using "I" instead of "me" . . .when it should be "me".  If you take out the other person’s name, you can usually figure it out.  I hate when a speaker or preacher or newscaster says something like, “He gave the candy to Mary and I.” Yes, I know that no self-respecting preacher, speaker or newscaster is going to talk about candy - I just couldn't think of anything else!!  When I hear someone use those words incorrectly, I want to stand up and shout, “NOOOOOO!” Would you say, “he gave the candy to I?” No, you wouldn’t – or you shouldn’t! The sentence should read, “He gave the candy to Mary and me.” I found this cartoon online and thought it was appropriate for my rant answer (yes - I know you asked punctuation and I moved to grammar!!)



8.  Insert your own random thought here.  I had a dental appointment this week for my yearly check-up. They have a screen in the waiting room with a rotating slide show. One slide had these words printed on it – “The first thing people notice about other people is their teeth and their grammar.” I think they may be right! I don’t consider myself a critical person when it comes to other people’s appearance, but I do notice bad teeth.  I really notice poor grammar. One of my pet peeves is using “come” incorrectly. "He came over to my office" is correct. He “come” over to my office is not correct. I don’t know if that is a rural southern thing or if other parts of the country have issues. Our daughter was teaching her sixth grade class about subject/verb agreement and I realized how many people have problems with this. (I believe this is THE MOST random thought ever!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment