Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Wednesday HodgePodge

 
Join this fun Wednesday activity over at From This Side of the Pond

 1. What's something that has recently 'tried your patience'? Is “people” too general of an answer? Since I work on a church staff . . .well, need I say more? If you know me well, you know my patience story. If you don’t, I’ll tell you. I was an impatient person when I was a young adult newlywed (don’t you dare say anything!). I remember praying for patience because I was told by someone that if I prayed for patience . . .God would give me patience. I prayed for an entire month (when you are young, that seems like an eternity). The very next month, I found out that I was pregnant with twins. Our God has the biggest sense of humor, doesn’t he? Yes, he gave me patience (sometimes!) and he has been at work in me all these years. I’m definitely more patient than some people I know. I can actually be very patient if I have to do so! 

2. Do you think patience comes to us naturally or is it something you have to learn as you grow? On a scale of 1-10 generally how patient are you? (1=I blow up at the drop of a hat and 10=I've got all the time in the world). I should have read this question before I answered the one above!! I definitely think it is something I have to learn. I think some people come into the world with patience already hard wired into their brain BUT I DIDN’T enter the world that way. I think I’m probably about a 5 on most days. I have more patience with some people than with others. Have you found that to be true?

3. Share about a time when you felt like you could fly. Or a time you wished you could fly. Or a time you felt like you were flying. My husband used to have dreams about flying all the time. I don’t think I’ve ever dreamed of flying. When I have given talks on Emmaus Walks, people lay hands on you and pray for you beforehand – I feel almost like I’m flying when I’m “prayed up.” When stuck in traffic, I have often wished that I had a car that could either fly or go up on legs (like Inspector Gadget) so that I could move ahead (remember that patience thing??)

(I borrowed this fun picture from some wonderful person)

4. Your favorite song with the word fly in the title or lyrics, or your favorite song that relates to flying in some way? I’m so embarrassed to admit this but I love the one below.
I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day (Night and day)
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly I believe I can fly I believe I can fly

I also liked back when Ruben Studdard was on American Idol (he’s from my town!) and he sang Flying Without Wings.

5. What's in your fall picnic basket and where are we picnicking in your neck of the woods this time of year? The weather is amazing here right now and most people are tailgating on Saturdays for the football games (college football is huge here!) That sounds like a picnic to me! We have these wonderful porches at our house and we’ve been sitting outside a lot and that feels a little like picnicking to me! At this time of the year, I love ANYTHING WITH pumpkin in it. Last night, one of our girls brought a pumpkin pastry – looked like a king cake – from our new Trader Joe’s (she was one of the first four people through the door yesterday morning! Go Kelley!). I would like for one of those to be in my picnic basket!!

6. Carpentry, electrical, plumbing, landscaping...which skill would you most like to possess and how would you put that skill to use today? Maybe landscaping since we just paid a small fortune to have our courtyard landscaped (it is beautiful!). My daddy was a carpenter and I think it would be so cool to make things with wood. I don’t want to be a plumber. Mark was a plumber’s assistant during college summers so he has that one down for us! I also don’t think I would like to be an electrician – I would probably shock myself!!

7. What's something you think is too expensive to justify buying lately? I would love another expensive purse. I’m not going to buy one though. We were going to get a fire pit for our new landscaped courtyard but Mark decided it was too expensive to justify . . .I’m sad about that. We are going to get a cheap one instead of a “piece of art” one.

8. Insert your own random thought here. We watched a movie on Sunday night. That is a rare thing for us! We watched “This Is Where I Leave You” and really enjoyed it. We missed the first 20 minutes or so and I usually cannot stand to jump in like that but we did and it was ok. I may go back at some point and watch the whole thing again. What is really funny is that we watched a movie sometime last week, too. We watched “Just Go With It” – You have to remember that we don’t have any kids at home anymore so we can watch an “R” movie if we so desire. I will say that we enjoyed both movies but it surprises me at the language producers feel they must include. (Lord, Have Mercy – I sound like an old fart!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment