Saturday, March 12, 2016

Satisfying, Sumptuous, Savory Saturdays -- Apple Roll

Satisfying, Sumptuous, Savory Saturdays
 
We are always looking for NEW things to serve our friends when they come over for dinner.  This is actually an OLD recipe.  Mark's momma has always made what she calls "apple roll" and everyone LOVES it.  (three words in all caps already - whew!)
So, I google "recipe for Apple Roll" - I found a few similar things but there was nothing out there just like hers.  I read a million recipes and couldn't find one that sounded just right.  When all else failed, I texted my sister-in-law, Susie, in Delaware, and asked her if she had the recipe.
 
My text back from her said, "I am not home but this is basically it."
 
I made it - it is delicious - you should try it!
 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
 
Cut up enough apples for at least two cups.  My friend, Amy, told me about cutting/eating apples this way.  There is so little waste!!  Cut across the apple and make round slices - then just cut out the tiny core and chop away.  You can see that the apples are not finely chopped - rough chop.  You want big enough pieces so they don't disintegrate.  I buy nice apples - I rarely buy the kind in the prepackaged bag.  These look like gala or honey crisp. (I made this in December so I don't remember all the details)
 
 
Mix apples (you can have way more than 2 cups) with about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of sugar, a healthy sprinkling of cinnamon, and a stick of melted butter.


 
I love this picture below.  The winter sun was shining into the house through the little trees on my island!!  Take one box of pastry (the kind you buy on the canned biscuit aisle).  Lay the two circles out on a big piece of parchment paper and roll them into one rectangle.

 
It doesn't have to be perfect.

 
This picture should have been up above -- I was pouring the melted butter over the chopped apples.

 
Take approximately two cups of those apples and spread them down the pastry.

 
Roll it up.  See my big knife.  I think I bought it at Walmart and it is a good knife!!

 
Cut the one long apple roll into two pieces and place in a 9 X 13 pan (this is my ugly pan - it is the pan I bake brown sugar brownies in . . also, a recipe from Mark's mom.  I didn't know how to bake AT ALL when I married Mark.  She has been a good teacher.

 
Pile all those other apples all around in the pan.  The more the better.  They will taste really good.  I hate to tell you this but after you get them in the pan - before you put it in the oven - pour about a cup of sugar over the top plus a little more melted butter.  I never said this was a low calorie nor low fat dessert.  I simply said it was good.
 
Put pan in hot oven until pastry starts to brown.  Just stand there and watch it.  I set the timer in few minute increments and it seems like it took 10-12 minutes for it to start browning - maybe longer.
 
This is the weirdest step of all.  Put one cup of water in a glass measuring cup and put it in your microwave and heat it until it is boiling.  Pour one cup boiling water on top of all; reduce oven to 350 degrees and keep on baking.


 
I made the apple roll the night before our friends were coming over (in case it was a flop!!).  I preheated the oven to 350 and when we sat down to eat our dinner, I put the apple roll back in the oven to warm.  Why?  Because you serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and it needs to be warm.
 

 
You can tell that this is an old recipe.  There are not a lot of exact measurements.  It is so delicious.  Hope you will make an apple roll for your family (or yourself - share with someone!!) and tell me if you love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment