Friday, June 24, 2016

Foodie Friday

I love to eat - if you know me, you already know that about me.  So . . .let's talk about food, ok?

Remember I told y'all about eating at Hattie B's Hot Chicken? and that we loved the black eye pea salad?


We are going to a friend's lake house tomorrow for lunch and I decided to try to make black eye pea salad . . . so of course, I googled recipe for black eye pea salad and looked at a bunch before I found one I might like.  I found one over at Kalyn's Kitchen and I'm tweaking her recipe (though I'm sure it is great just as is!!).


I'm using two 12 ounce bags of black eye peas.  I must agree with Kalyn - I'm surprised that you have to cook them first!  (but you do - I tasted one!!)

So cook up some black eye peas (that sounds southern -- cook up some black eye peas!!) with some garlic (I didn't have cloves but I had minced garlic in a jar!)  I also salted the water.

While the peas are cooking, I chopped a green pepper and a red pepper.  I want to add a little jalapeno but I'm not sure I have any - I'm going to dig in my refrigerator and see what I can find!!  I'm also going to add chopped green onions just like Kalyn did.


For the dressing, I squeezed a whole lime and zested about 1/4 tsp.  I added 4 tablespoons of olive oil and I added a teaspoon of cumin and a 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder and about 10 red pepper flakes.  I also added a healthy shake of Lawry's season salt.

The peas are taking longer to cook than I anticipated.  I'll let y'all know how it turns out!!

UPDATE -- after resting overnight, the pea salad was too dry.  I mixed up a cup of olive oil, 1/2 cup sugar; 1/4 cup white vinegar; big splash of balsamic vinegar; another good shake of red pepper, coarse ground salt and black pepper.  Poured this over the peas and allowed to marinate until lunch time -- delish!

We have invited neighbors (two couples) over for dinner tonight - this is a first for us.  We have a tendency to hang with our framily and family.  We have invited neighbors to our gumbo party (but we didn't have it this year!!).  Guess what I'm serving?  beef tenderloin - oh my goodness - I love it!  The Pig (piggly wiggly) had beef tenderloin on sale last week for $9.99 a pound and I stopped in while they were on sale.  I'm using an old tried and true recipe that an older lady in our church congregation shared with my sister-in-law 30+ years ago.

6-7# beef tenderloin serves 12
Remove almost all fat and remove silver skin.  I bought one that was pre-trimmed and Mark still had to do some trimming last night.  You need a very sharp knife.  Leave a little fat.
Marinate overnight - I used about 1/4 cup Ken's lite Caesar dressing and 1/4 cup Ken's olive oil and vinegar dressing and a healthy sprinkling of Cavender's seasoning and a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce.  (all of those are guestimates -- I don't measure)

Remove from fridge and allow to come to room temp (about 45 minutes)

heavily pepper and garlic salt outside of meat

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.

cook 30 minutes for rare
40 minutes for medium
50 minutes well done (this would be a crime!!!!)
rest at LEAST 15 minutes before cutting

I'm also going to serve oriental slaw (I thought I had shared that recipe before but I can't find it on my blog) with teeny tiny roasted new potatoes (olive oil and kosher salt) and bread.  I just happen to have "homemade by Susie" German Chocolate Cake in the freezer for dessert.

Last but not least, we did go to Hot and Hot for my birthday dinner.  The food did not disappoint.


The heirloom tomato salad is so good.  Those are fresh peas and little pieces of fried okra scattered around.  I love this salad.  Mark - who doesn't like tomatoes at all - even loves this salad. Mark actually ordered two appetizers.  He ordered boudin balls (I didn't get a picture!!).  He was full after his two appetizers!


Being full never stops us from eating (how stupid is that!).  Mark ordered pompano and it was served over avocado and tomatoes (he didn't eat those tomatoes - they weren't heirloom!!).

I ordered chicken "fried" steak.  The steak was cut into sections with a piece of fried chicken "skin" stuffed between.  It was served with fingerling potatoes and buttermilk gravy over greens.  You see that tiny smear of gravy on the left side of the plate - it was sooooo good!  Mark loved my chicken skins and helped eat the beef, too.


Needless to say, we were actually too full to order dessert.  Really - we were too full.  It was delicious.

Those are our dining escapades . . .yum yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment