Thursday, June 9, 2016

Wednesday Hodge Podge . . .once again on Thursday

Check out From This Side of the Pond blog - always interesting . . .and read all the responses to her Wednesday Hodge Podge questions.

1. I read here a list of 13 things you should do in June. I'm paraphrasing a little but basically...

Go on a road trip with your best friend, pick fresh strawberries, host a garden party, take a morning run, treat yourself to a flower bouquet, spend a whole day hiking, discover a new coffee shop, try a new ice cream flavor, read at least one book, visit a Farmer's Market, make a swing for your home, and visit a new city.

Which thing on the list do you most want to do? Of the activities mentioned, which one holds the least appeal? How many on the list will you attempt in June? What's one thing you'd add to the list?

I would LOVE to go on a road trip with my best friend – preferably to the beach – but that is not going to happen any time soon!  We’ve already had strawberry season in Alabama so there aren’t any to pick (but I sure do love fresh strawberries).  


I think the least appealing choice would be to discover a new coffee shop because I don’t drink coffee (though I think coffee shops are pretty cute!).  I’ve probably already read a book this month (yes, I know it is only the 8th – I love to read!).  I probably will not attempt to build a swing, though I have asked my son to build a small table for my screen porch.  We have a wonderful “farmer’s market” in our church parking lot and I’ve already shopped there this month and will shop some more.  (J & S Produce -- Jason and Sheila are great and Jason has an amazing testimony)


I probably will not treat myself to a flower bouquet or spend a whole day hiking (temps are already in the 90’s here) nor will I probably visit a new city.  I would like to add that trip to the beach to the list . . .but that is not going to happen in June.

2. What's something you could do today to feel more peaceful?
Take time to breathe!  My boss often says at the beginning of a meeting, “take a deep breath” and then he opens the meeting with prayer.  It really helps!  I should spend more time in prayer and more time reading the Bible.  I should allow the worries of the world to just float on by me.  Last night, in our young adult group, we talked about how when we compare ourselves to others, we are less content (which is less peaceful).  With social media, we see the highlight reels of other people’s lives and we are looking at the day to day stuff of our own – they don’t match up so we become less and less content and less and less peaceful.

3. June 7th is National Chocolate Ice Cream Day. Are you a fan? Swiss mocha, rocky road, chocolate chocolate chip, peanut butter and chocolate, or a dish of plain chocolate...what's your pleasure?  I am not a chocolate ice cream fan.  I do like Blue Bell ice cream – Happy Tracks – creamy vanilla ice cream loaded with chocolate covered peanut butter cups and a dark chocolate fudge swirl.  We do not keep ice cream at our house though – we would eat it way too often.

4. If you came with a warning what would it say?  Watch closely – pressure builds until it explodes.  I do not react healthily to everyday irritations and issues (like family health/job/etc.) and then all of a sudden something tiny happens and I have a complete melt down.  I recently had a meltdown over three $10 t-shirts on our anniversary.  Happy 32nd anniversary to Mark!

5.What's the most interesting website you've visited in the last week?  
I don’t have time to browse the internet often but Mark and I did listen to a sermon on Monday night.  I guess this is a shameless plug for our church website.  Mark and I attended different worship services on Sunday (I served communion in Traditional and he attended Contemporary with our daughter).  I wanted him to hear the sermon that Brian preached.  If you would like to hear it, listen – it is really good!! http://www.trinitybirmingham.com/sermons/famous-last-words/


6. Spring, summer, autumn, winter...which season are you? Why?  
I’m that tiny sliver of a season between spring and summer – not too hot yet but the pollen is gone.  I love sitting outside on the porch and I love being outside then – but it is a tiny sliver of time in May usually.  I do love summer – soaking up the rays of the sun at a pool, beach or lake.  I don’t like summer when I have on nice clothes and it is so hot that sweat happens!!  I love the crisp cool that comes right at the beginning of autumn.  I do not like long sleeves nor coats so I don’t really like winter!!

7. "You lose sight of things...and when you travel, everything balances out." ~Daranna Gidel
Would you agree with that sentiment? Explain why or why not.  
I certainly think that travelling – especially outside of the US – puts things into perspective quickly.  I LOVED our trip to Israel back in February but I wanted to kiss the ground when we got home.  . . yet I’m ready to go somewhere else.

8. Insert your own random thought here. 
This is really random – I’m a list maker.  Are you?  I do best if I make a list of all the things I need to do each day.  I imagine I have some attention deficit issues . . .so a list really helps.  There is great satisfaction in marking things “completed” on that list.  My daily lists are comprised of both work tasks and personal tasks intermingled.  I could never keep up with two lists J


No comments:

Post a Comment