Sunday, July 10, 2016

CLING

old building at the farm covered in clinging vines

Cling


What does it mean to cling on (not Klingon!) The definition of cling according to dictionary.com . . .
1. to adhere closely; stick to: The wet paper clings to the glass.
2. to hold tight, as by grasping or embracing; cleave: The children clung to each other in the dark.
3. to be or remain close: The child clung to her mother's side.
4. to remain attached, as to an idea, hope, memory, etc.: Despite the predictions, the candidate clung to the belief that he would be elected. (I'm not even going there this morning!n
5. to cohere.

Those are good definitions . . . so I googled "keep calm and cling on" . . .and I mostly found "keep calm and Klingon."  Nope.  Not enough for this Sunday morning, though I did chuckle!

So I googled Bible verses about clinging . . .I found this one -- Psalm 119:31 . . . (two versions below)
The Living Bible - I cling to your commands and follow them as closely as I can. Lord, don’t let me make a mess of things.

The Message - I’m feeling terrible—I couldn’t feel worse! Get me on my feet again. You promised, remember? When I told my story, you responded; train me well in your deep wisdom. Help me understand these things inside and out so I can ponder your miracle-wonders. My sad life’s dilapidated, a falling-down barn; build me up again by your Word. Barricade the road that goes Nowhere; grace me with your clear revelation. I choose the true road to Somewhere, I post your road signs at every curve and corner. I grasp and cling to whatever you tell me; God, don’t let me down! I’ll run the course you lay out for me if you’ll just show me how.

Finally . . .someone who gets it - the psalmist from so many years ago gets it.  God was God back then and God is still God today.

Sometimes life is hard.  Sometimes life is really hard.  I often find myself wanting to push away from God when I don't get my way - when he doesn't answer as quickly as I want.  Instead, I need to cling on - I need to adhere closely.  I need to hold tight to God.

On this Sunday morning, I choose to cling on to God.  I actually think I have wrapped myself around him this morning - wait - that's not right . . .HE has wrapped his arms around me.  He will never let me go.  He will always be with me.

Cling?  What does that word "cling" mean to you?  Are you clinging to God this day? 

I am clinging tightly



No comments:

Post a Comment