Wednesday, July 20, 2016

NO pictures today - just words . . .lots of words!


It's Wednesday -- join up over at Joyce's blog and answer some questions.

1.  Pokemon Go...your thoughts? Are you playing? Do you even know what it is?
Yes, I do know that Pokemon Go is . . .no, I’m not playing BUT the park in front of our house was a stop  (maybe still is?).  I looked out the front door the other night and there sat a car in the pouring rain . . .with their phones out . . .trying to capture him/it/her.

2.  What was something you collected as a child? Do you still have that collection? If you're a parent what's something your own children collected? Have you ever camped out, stood in a crazy long queue, or paid a ridiculous sum for a 'collectible'?

I collected thimbles – why?  I have no earthly idea!  I had a little wooden box that hung on the wall with little tiny slots for thimbles.  I do not have the collection and I have no earthly idea whatever happened to those thimbles.  Both of our kids collected Beanie Babies and YES . . .we stood in line when the Hallmark store got a new shipment.  We were going to be rich some day from those collectibles.  Of course, they played with them so they weren’t really collectibles.  When they went off to college, we bagged them up into those vacuum bags where you “suck the air out” . . .they stayed in the closet for several more years and then we finally donated them to the church to be used as prizes in a carnival!  Laura also had a few Madame Alexander dolls and she had a million Barbies and she had a nice collection of American Girl accoutrements.  Glenn collected baseball cards and maybe a few Pokemon cards.  For a while, he also collected state quarters.

3.  "Collect moments, not things"...tell us about a moment you've added to your collection this summer.

I feel like we’ve added so many moments this summer.  Having a new grandbaby is so special!!  Mark has been going to her daycare every day instead of eating lunch . . .he rocks her and gives her a bottle.  That is a memory . . .a moment in time!

4.  What's something collecting dust in your home right now? Any plans to do something about it?

I have way too many things collecting dust right now.  I have a wonderful craft room filled with awesome scrapbooking supplies but I do not have time to scrapbook!!  I don’t like a lot of tchotchkes (this is the correct spelling!) sitting around so I don’t have too many of those collecting dust.
Speaking of dust . . .I’m highly allergic to dust . . .so I’m not supposed to dust . . .which means I get to keep a maid (hopefully for a few more years . . .Mark keeps telling me the things we have to “give up” when we both retire . . .thank goodness I still have at least 8 more years before retirement . . .if I don’t get fired for laughing too much!!)

5.  A favorite song relating to time?

When I read this question, I immediately thought of “Time In a Bottle” by Jim Croce . . .but I don’t really like that song.  How about “Does Anybody Know What Time It Is? by Chicago?  Another oldie!!  I really loved Time by Hootie and the Blowfish . . .

6.  What’s been your most frightening or your most interesting encounter with wildlife?

Years ago, a chipmunk got into our house.  Mark was out of town and the kids and I were trying to capture it with a laundry basket and a shoe box . . .and a broom!  I remember running like a crazy woman through the house and I’m pretty sure we were all three screaming!!
There was another time (Mark was again out of town!) and before he left, he had put a “have a heart” trap in the backyard.  We caught a huge raccoon.  Glenn was a teenager and he and I had to go outside and figure out how to let it go because we didn’t want it to die . . .and Mark wasn’t home.  That thing hissed at us!  We finally got the “gate” open and we ran off and so did he (or she?)!!

7.  On July 20, 1969 Apollo 11 Commander Neil Armstrong set his foot down on the moon. If you could travel to the moon would you go? Why or why not?

We went to see The Martian last year (I know you said moon!) and after watching that movie, I think I could go to the moon BUT I think I would have to take a lot of Dramamine and a lot of Ativan.  I assume that at some point, there will be excursions to the moon.  How weird . . .it might get crowded like the beach!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I have no random thought today.  Let’s see . . .We are having VBS at our church this week –
Cave Quest – and we’ve had 450 or so kids from ages 3K through rising 3rd graders in the building.  Those kids are amazing.  Our church staff is so talented and makes learning about Jesus interesting and they make the stories from the Bible come alive!  My sister attends a MUCH smaller church in Texas (I thought everything was bigger in Texas??) and they are also having VBS this week and they had a LIVE camel named Humphrey (get it – hump??) come to visit.  I want a live camel at our VBS!!

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if you collected thimbles because they're so cute? :) I remember a few of my grandmother's friends having thimble collections when I was growing up and I loved them. What a great idea- going to the daycare during lunch. I wonder if I would have thought of that? Luckily, I won't be returning to school next year so I can keep her during the day (since I stayed home when my girls were growing up and didn't start teaching until 8 years ago or so, I have no retirement to speak of, so not returning was not a big deal. Otherwise, I'd have to go back at least 7 more years.) When was your little one born? Ours arrived on July 7. It's been wonderful and takes my mind off the oppressive heat most days. The visuals you left in my mind about the chipmunk and racoon have me laughing! Thank you for reaching out via email! I'll enjoy sharing grandma stories with you. :) Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those thimbles were pretty cute!! I was blessed to stay home with our kids (twins almost 29) but I've been working again since their senior year of high school (two in college at same time, etc.). Now I am actually working partly for retirement PLUS I love my job. How wonderful that you will be able to keep the baby!! She arrived on March 15 so she just turned 4 months old. She is long but tiny!!

    ReplyDelete