Friday, July 22, 2016

SOME PEOPLE DESERVE A CELEBRATION (IN ALL CAPS!)

Last Sunday, we had a celebration at our house -- a celebration in honor of my mother-in-law's birthday.  We had a big celebration last year - you can read all about that celebration here.  She doesn't want anyone to know how old she is but let me tell you that she looks excellent for her age and she is far more mobile and healthy than most people!!

She cooks lunch for her children and grandchildren every single Sunday!  On her birthday (and a few other times a year!!), we try to give her a little break.

Our salad course was a wedge salad.  I had forgotten how much better lettuce tastes than bagged salad.  We had thick cut bacon crumbled on top; along with feta cheese; and finely chopped tomatoes and we served it with Thousand Island (I know most people do blue cheese and blue cheese dressing . ..but not our family)



Sweet little granddaughter was a guest at the party.  She is my mother-in-law's first great grandchild!!


We even had balloons!  Balloons are fun no matter how old you are!


We had more than balloons - we had presents, too!!


We were sitting around waiting on everyone to arrive.  We had all been to church and Sunday School so it was nice to have a moment to catch our breath.


I posted a picture of the cake on facebook and a lot of people have asked about it.  You make it in a springform pan -- cut ice cream sandwiches into fourths - one cut longways and one cut across.  Line the springform pan with waxed paper and spray with pam.  Then line up those little quarter pieces of ice cream sandwich all the way around the edge.  Then I used my little food processor and made crumbs with oreos and mixed in just enough milk to hold it together.  I patted that into the bottom of the pan.  Put pan in freezer for one hour.

At the 45 minute mark, get out ice cream.  I used a pint of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla, a pint of Blue Bell cookies and cream, and a pint of Blue Bell butter pecan (one of my mother-in-law's favorites!!)
After the ice cream sits out for about 15 minutes, get the crust out of the freezer.  Dump the first flavor of ice cream into a bowl and stir it until smooth.  Pour into crust.  Repeat with other two flavors.  I thought I could omit the bowl and dump straight into the crust.  Did not work.


Now spread a 16 ounce container of softened cool whip on top.  I then spooned caramel topping all over the cool whip and I put one oreo in the center and pecan halves around the cake (she loves nuts - especially pecans).  Freeze until about 15 minutes before serving.




The birthday girl gets to blow out the candles on her cake (we even had birthday napkins and little birthday plates for the cake!)



Before lunch, we took a family photo using my camera on a tripod.  I set it to take 10 pictures and I won't show you all of them (but they are quite humorous).  This was one of the best ones.  I'm married to an identical twin and they have a tendency to show up places dressed in the same clothes (totally unplanned!).  It is so wonderful to me that Emma has a great grandmother to hold her in the picture!

Happy birthday!!


No comments:

Post a Comment