Thursday, December 22, 2016

Wednesday Hodge Podge . . . once again on Thursday


I started this post on Wednesday but it is 10:00 on Thursday night and I'm finally trying to finish it!  Joyce at From This Side of the Pond has such fun questions every week for Wednesday Hodge Podge!
1. What's left to be done on your Christmas to-do list? 

Tonight (Wednesday) is our service of Loss and Light (for those grieving) and I’m working as an usher/greeter (the service definitely made those who are grieving realize that they are not alone!).  Tomorrow (today!) is (was) our office Christmas party and after work, I’m (I did get) getting a hair cut (and I got a pedicure!!) !!  Mark is going to the farm and I hope to watch a SAPPY Christmas movie while he is gone (instead of watching a movie . . . I watched sitcom reruns . . .and worried about Mark because I haven't heard from him!).  Friday, I’m going tino work around noon because I will be at the church through part of the evening.  At 11:30, on my way in to the office, I have to pick up the food for the preachers/musicians/nursery workers/maintenance staff  to eat on Christmas Eve.  On Friday evening, we have our Christmas Eve Eve service which is one of my favorite services!!  It is called “Go Tell It on Red Mountain” (read here about Birmingham and Red Mountain).  Conecuh sausage will be served and our preachers will tell stories (the story) and the musicians will play and we will all sing Christmas music - all with a bluegrass/flannel shirt theme!  Christmas Eve will include some cooking for Christmas day and some family time (which includes pizza!) and our Christmas Eve service at church.  Christmas Day includes . . .drum roll . . .presents at our house; church; lunch and presents with Mark’s immediate family; HOPEFULLY, A NAP; and time with Mark’s BIG extended family.  After that . . .I REST!  I’m taking a week of vacation between Christmas and New Year’s and I may sleep all week!

2. The Hodgepodge lands on the first day of winter this year. What's your favorite thing about winter? 

I don’t really like winter much at all.  So let’s look at it from a positive angle . . .I like hot chocolate!!  My favorite thing about the first day of winter is that from now on, each day gets longer - the LIGHT wins, y'all!!

3. In what area of your life are you immature? Feel free to elaborate or not. 

I would like to have my own way (like a little kid!) and I am sometimes unable to curb my comments and thoughts -- sometimes those things just burst forth.  I sometimes speak before I think . . I should have figured out how to control that by now!

4. What was the most (or one of the most) important lessons you learned in 2016? 

I learned that it is fun to be a grandmother (Gran!).  I wasn't too sure about this grandparent business but I LOVE being a gran to such a sweet girl!  If I wasn't so tired I might be able to think of a "bigger" lesson I've learned but this is a lesson that I'm glad I learned!!  I borrowed this picture from my daughter-in-law's blog - she wasn't too sure about Santa!!


5. It's Fried Shrimp Day...are you a fan? What's your favorite way to eat shrimp? Will there be shrimp somewhere in your holiday feastings? 

I LOVE shrimp – it is my favorite seafood!  I like it fried, blackened, boiled, broiled, on top of grits, with French fries.  I DO NOT like it served with heads on.  One time when we were at the beach, I ordered Royal Red Steamed Shrimp at the Gulf Shores Steamer.  I did learn that I do not like my shrimp with all of their "components" still intact.  I actually swapped meals with Mark.  My order was in a sandbucket with lots of shrimp hanging over the edges!!



6. What sound lulls you to sleep? 
Our WHOLE family is addicted to sound machines!  We all sleep with white noise - even baby Emma!  When Mark and I first married, our next door neighbors had a dog that barked and Mark needed white noise.  We used a fan for years.  At some point, I purchased white noise machines and we've all used them ever since.

7. What one word best describes your 2016? 
A friend of mine who is a blogger said that the word of the year is surreal.  I think that describes 2016 quite well.  From Glenn's surgery in January to my January trip to Israel to the opening of our new church campus to our first grandbaby to this year's election (no matter which side you are on, people acted downright crazy!!) to our recent season of multiple deaths and illnesses at church - and now it is Christmas.  Surreal is all I can say!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I just saw on the news where a Santa went into a bank (or credit union) and handed out candy and THEN ROBBED THE DADGUM bank!  Of course, immediately following that story they showed a puppy story!  So listen to this Christmas story -- our sunday school class works directly with a mission here in town.  At Thanksgiving, we provided 40 full Thanksgiving meals to these families.  For Christmas, we provided Christmas for 52 children!!!  (this is in addition to the angel trees at church).  I know you asked for only one thought but now the weather is on and the weatherman just informed us that it will be 72 degrees on Christmas day.  I love wearing shorts and flip flops - they are my most comfortable clothing BUT IT IS CHRISTMAS!! 

Final thought -- A baby is going to be born this week - a baby that has and will continue to change the world.  If we are all so caught up in the tinsel and wrapping paper, we might just miss it.  Slow down . . .take a DEEP breath . . . stop . . . I think I can hear the clop clop of hooves as the Holy Family approaches.  A baby is going to be born soon! 



No comments:

Post a Comment