Monday, May 15, 2017

off the face of the earth

I feel like I've fallen off the face of the earth (in the blogging world)  - whew!!  As much as I loved the April A - Z Challenge, it just about killed me.  I would be blogging long after Mark went to bed at night and then I was so tired the following day . . .over and over.

So what's been going on?

Two weeks ago, we had a "mission night" with the young professionals.  We made two small "gifts" for a group home (12 residents) - we had bags of gold fish crackers and a cute note that said, "You are o-fish-ally awesome" . . .and we made a baggie with a card "ORANGE you glad that spring is here? Be a SMARTIE and feel FRITO enjoy your day!" The baggie had an orange, a few packs of smarties candies and a bag of Fritos!!

The group also made 100 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a local mission and last but certainly not least, the group filled "bags of fun" for the children of our food co-op program.


Ten loaves of bread, lots of peanut butter and jelly, plastic knives and spoons, plastic tablecloths . . lots of supplies needed!!


We tried to keep the bags of fun for the food share ministry "equal" so that there would not be any hurt feelings.  I divided the candy into groups so that each bag would have the same kinds of candy.  (I did some of the prep before the group arrived)


The PB&J's were made in the kitchen.  They were listening to music and laughing a lot!



We filled the bags in the dining room.

On the morning after, I delivered the sandwiches to the local mission.  A nice gentleman carried one of the boxes for me and then he whispered to me, "Ma'am, could you spare $1.50?"  I had to look him in the eye and tell him that I didn't have a cent to my name (which was true, by the way!).  I've been thinking about that request ever since . . .what did he want to buy with $1.50.  Did he want a soda?  Did he want a candy bar?  I take diet pepsis for granted . . .and I take $1.50 for granted.  Ma'am - could you spare $1.50?  I'm glad I had sandwiches because I've been thinking about this all week - 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."



No comments:

Post a Comment