Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Do the next right thing HODGEPODGE

Thank you to Joyce over at From this Side of the Pond for writing these questions every week! Copy and paste the questions to your blog, answer, and link up -- or feel free to answer the questions in the comments or on my facebook page!


1. April showers bring May flowers or so the saying goes. Is there a flower you associate with a particular memory? Explain.
Rubrum lilies! We married in May of 1984 and I carried Rubrum lilies! Today, those same lilies would probably send me into a major allergy attack!! They are so prettybut deadly to me!!
photo from Scully and Scully


2. Last time you helped someone? Tell us how.
I work in a church . . .so most of the phone calls I answer are helping someone in some way or another. On Monday, I had a long chat with a mother of a young adult. I think I helped her. Just this morning, a woman called the church and asked if there is going to be a "big band" playing in the park near our church on Sunday and she needed directions to the park . . .I kid you not . . .yes, I did help her, too.

3. It's National Salsa Month (the food, not the dance) so tell us, do you like salsa? Hot, medium, or mild? Homemade, store bought, or from your favorite restaurant only?
I love Salsa. I judge a Mexican restaurant by the salsa and by the margaritas! I don't like my salsa too spicy. I tend to buy mild Pace!! I have salsa in my lunch today and I'm having salsa for supper tonight - guess I like salsa! As a matter of fact, I have three small containers of salsa in my lunch!


4. When I was twelve years old...
oh goodness . . .I can just barely remember 12 years old so I googled it! The first Mustang was made when I was 12. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize that same year! A ticket to the movie theater was $1.25 and I actually remember paying that. According to one website, gasoline was $.30 a gallon - I wasn't driving so I do not remember that! Billy Graham came to our town during that same year and the services were open to all races - which was a big deal back then. Our church took a group to the stadium where Billy Graham was  and in one of the recent videos that was shown when Billy Graham died, you can see one of the deacons from our home church.

5. It's the first of May so let's run with it-first things first, don't know the first thing about it, first dibs on something, first impression, first rate, first cousin, first string, first come first served, at first light-which phrase can best be applied to something in your life currently or even recently? Just this morning, I walked at "first light." I'm also in the "first things first" mode right now -- daughter's wedding is two weeks and two days away!

6. Insert your own random thought here. Look at this cake - it is strawberry cake made with freeze dried strawberries, strawberry cream cheese icing made with strawberry reduction, and chocolate ganache. One of our guys from the Tuesday night Bible study made this and brought it last night -- yes, he is an incredible baker!! No, I didn't eat any -- I guess it has been about 16 months since I've eaten dessert.


5 comments:

  1. 16 months since you ate dessert? Congrats. If I was at your Bible Study, I would have asked if I could have your piece. It looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Good for you regarding your dessert hiatus! I enjoyed your answers today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks delish. I'm sure you're in all wedding all the time mode right about now. Good luck with these last bits of to-do's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm visiting from the Hodgepodge. It's nice to meet you, Middle Age Mom. I am in the same stage of life you are.

    Ha, I am an 80-'s bride too (86), and I carried lilies at my wedding too. Must have been the popular flower for brides back in the mid 80's.

    Oh, yes, salsa and margaritas---the measure of a Mexican restaurant!

    How exciting that your daughter is getting married soon. My daughter got married in October, 2015, so this time 3 years ago, I was in wedding planning mode too. It was a precious time. If only I hadn't been so stressed about "letting her go," I could have enjoyed it more. Hope all goes well in these final days.

    Have a blessed day,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings from the Granite State. I am a fellow Hodgepodger and your blog site is listed adjacent to mine on Joyce's list. I enjoy reading your answers. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete